venerdì 31 luglio 2015

A job is pretty much like a love story - nothing lasts forever




Lately I have started to think about how many jobs I have changed, about those I've turned down and those few I would have loved to do but they didn't love me back.
Probably that's because a job is pretty much like a love story. 
There have been times when I really fell for a particular job, I courted it and I put myself out there in order to obtain it, but it didn't work. The disappointment was more or less the same I have experienced the many times I liked a man and he didn't know I even existed or he would tell me everything about his girlfriend. 
Think about interviews for instance: a ballet where interviewer and interviewed constantly exchange the predominant position to excel with perfect answer or the perfect question. I got so used to interviews that I find them hilarious now, I can easily predict the next question and anticipate the facial expression the interviewer will make about my school life etc... if only it was a television quiz!
Back to love and work. 
There are jobs about which you are not sure. Begin or not begin? Is it right for me? Am I going to be happy, satisfied and understood? 
Since no love story is perfect, you try it. You sign your contract and give it try. The first 60 days should be the best they say, but the embarrassment of not knowing where to put your hands, what to say and what to do, just reminds me of something...
Anyway, if you survive those amazing trial periods and nobody ships you back, then you're in. The real story begins and you start to see that it wasn't so perfect as it felt the first days, but if you really enjoy what you are doing is not impossible to wipe out the flaws. After all a relationship is never easy, sometimes you will have to fight and resist, even when the other is not at its best. 
Then, here it comes: the other job. Someone offers you a position, right in the middle of your other experience which is difficult, hard sometimes, heart wrecking maybe, but still, it has been there for you when you had to improve, achieve new certifications or ask for a new pc. 
Your curiosity may allow you to flirt a little, so you talk with their HR and see what this new job has to offer. Of course it sound better, richer and more attractive! 
So now what, my dear loyal worker? 
Most of us, well maybe just me, would make a long list with pros and cons of both choices and in the end will choose out of sympathy, guilt and affection. 
Finally, you'll have the break up. 
"It's not you, it's me"  "I am not right for this position! Don't you see?"
"I need more, you are not listening to my ideas!"
"We are just not made for each other, I need sometimes for myself, to think about my future."
"But you know what? I wish you to find the best candidate possible, I am sure that you'll have a great relationship together."

Then there are the disruptive people like me. Out of the box. With a lot of ideas, creativity and energy. To find the perfect mate becomes even harder when you are not suitable for ordinary; I am not being arrogant, just realistic. Because if can write about it, it's because I lived it all.

So, in the end I must say that I am still waiting for my soulmate, but I am happy that I have made a lot of friends in the meantime. 


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Tao Te Ching verso 16 - verse 16 - ITA and ENG

  "Ritornare alle radici significa trovare la pace. Trovare la pace significa onorare il proprio destino. Onorare il proprio destino è ...