lunedì 6 ottobre 2014

My inexplicable attraction: Scotland

Only one year ago I was in Scotland.
I planned that trip hoping to find a way to stay there forever. Probably I was delusional or too hopeful, but it has been almost 2 years now, since the day I fell in love with Scotland. I really don't know why. All my childhood has been about the United States, Japan and China. I have studied Japanese, I have been to Boston for one year and I wrote my graduation thesis about the influence of the American on the post war Japan. But one day, about two years ago I simply woke up thinking about Scotland, yeah, just like that. Since that day I couldn't help it, I keep thinking about it every day. I decided after maybe a month, since that revelation, to study, learn and understand what possibly attracted me to that place. I read a lot, watched documentaries, talked to people from Scotland, but something was missing, so I decided to go there in person. It was the end of September, last year, I flew from Bologna to Edinburgh and I was there. Finally. When I landed and breathed the fresh air outside the airport I remember I felt confused and I thought I was having one of those out of body experiences. The bus took me from the airport to the little nice hotel outside the city. All around me there was the green grass, the windy air and the gentle hills. I know it may sound stupid but I felt home. Have you ever had the sensation to know someone or something even if you have never met that someone/something before? That was it! A past life? Maybe. I have no idea. The first afternoon spent visiting the city center it had really been an incredible experience. I was moving around with my head in the clouds, looking at the local people carrying the Scotland flags on their shoulders, the businessmen running around the city and listening to the sound of the bagpipes echoing from the park. I can still smell the dry taste of smoked barely all over the streets and I can still feel the warmth of the sun on my skin when the Autumn was quickly approaching. The whole week spent between nice visits to the city and its museum, the hike of the Arthur's Seat and the tasting of the local delicacies, passed incredibly fast. I was back, in Italy. Since that wonderful trip I had to think about so many things that I decided to put that dream aside. But everyday Scotland is in my hearth. Everyday a strange energy recalls distant memories of a far away land, a land full of nature, proud people, enchanting tradition and fascinating history. I am trying to resume that dream and I am looking for a job there. It isn't easy, not at all, but I have never wanted something so bad in my life. And the most wonderful thing is that I don't know why, I just feel it. In this mad world always dictating the rules of our imagination, I want to prize a feeling and I will try to follow it. I hope to see you again Scotland! Latha math!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Tao Te Ching verso 16 - verse 16 - ITA and ENG

  "Ritornare alle radici significa trovare la pace. Trovare la pace significa onorare il proprio destino. Onorare il proprio destino è ...